Fees Payable to Mexican Immigration (INM) in 2024

How much will it cost for immigration fees? In English, here’s a breakdown of the common fees charged by Mexico’s immigration department.

Click here to open Mexico Immigration’s 2024 webpage showing their new Schedule of Fees published by INM (in Spanish) or access the 2024 Mexico INM Fee Schedule (to see all fees, some which may not be included below).

Note: This information is current as at January 11, 2024. We suggest you confirm these INM fees with Mexico’s published immigration and residency fee schedule at Mexico’s official website directly above before actually submitting any fees because they are subject to change at any time.

Mexico INM Schedule of Fees (in English).

FMM / Tourist Card: These are no longer being issued for air travel as INM has a digital passport stamp program now. (However, click here to obtain a LAND ENTRY FMM form online, if you are crossing into Mexico by land.)

  • 717.00 pesos (approximately $40 US dollars)

If coming in by air or boat (cruise):

  • The fee is absorbed into each traveler’s airline ticket, so you won’t have to pay this fee additional to what you pay to fly to Mexico.

You might also need to pay this fee if YOU LOST YOUR PHYSICAL FMM stub (which is no longer issued because of the new digital passport stamp program). Still, if you need a Replacement card, the fee for a replacement is the same as the original card/stamp (+plus any fines, if any – contact or visit INM directly to determine).

Temporary Residence:

  • 1 year – 5,328.00 pesos
  • 2 years – 7,984.00 pesos
  • 3 years – 10,112.00 pesos
  • 4 years – 11,985.00 pesos

Change of Condition: 

  • 1,702.00 pesos (plus fines, if any)

Note: Many times this fee is also payable if you are applying under the Family Unity program / present in Mexico because you are essentially applying to change your condition from a tourist (the FMM) to another condition, such as a temporary or permanent resident. It’s good to budget for this fee along with whichever other fee you will need to pay for whichever status you choose to apply. Each member of your family would need to pay this in addition to the residency fee, if they are already in Mexico.

Permanent Residence:

  • 6,495.00 pesos (approx. $361 USD) plus a review fee if you are getting your Permanent Resident status after being in Mexico for 4 years as a Temporary Resident.

Note: There is no review fee when pre-approved by a consulate. If you are given permanent residency at the Mexican Consulate that approved your residency, your visa is indefinite and does not need to be renewed.

Work Permission (permiso para trabajar):

  • 4,001.00 pesos

A Work Permission Visa is necessary for Temporary Residents, Students and Tourists who wish to earn an income or be remunerated in Mexico pesos. (You do not need this if you earn income sourced from outside of Mexico.)

Work Visa Authorization for a job offer or family unit:

  • 229.00 pesos

Lost / Stolen / Damaged Document Replacement:

Contact INM directly to determine fines, if any,

Certificate to verify immigration status:

  • 522.00 MXN

Permission to Enter/Leave (a travel permit is required to leave and return to Mexico if you have already applied for a status but not yet received your residency/work permit card):

  • 545.00 pesos

Note: If you leave without the “Permiso de salida y regreso”, you risk cancelling out any active application you have made and not been approved for, and may have to start the process over again, and pay the fee(s) again.

Regularization (Amnesty program):

  • 11,985.00 pesos (4-year Temporary Residency Fee)
  • 1,702.00 pesos (for INM to do a review of your case).
  • Between 2078.00 – 4150.00 pesos (Fine for overstaying your FMM visa, depending on number of days beyond your expired visa)

Note: Mexico continues to offer a way to regularize your migratory situation, if your FMM or Mexico tourist card has expired and you wish to remain in Mexico for a specific reason.

How easy is it to get your residency visa in Mexico?

Simpler when you enroll in our program! We walk you through the processes in our easy-to-follow instructions we offer through our Move to Mexico Guide courses.

Planning to marry in Mexico? Do you want to have it legally recognized? Are you aware that you’ll need a real marriage certificate document f...
17 Lectures
2 hours
Our micro-course helps you apply for a Temporary Resident Visa via the Family Unity program, if you’re an applicant sponsored by 1) a Mexican...
17 Lectures
2 hours
Welcome to our most popular Move to Mexico Guide eCourse If you have been wondering how to apply for residency in Mexico, we have you covered. In t...
21 Lectures
Layer 1