Mexico Temporary Resident Visa Forms & Fees (by Family Unity)

Our micro-course helps you apply for a Temporary Resident Visa via the Family Unity program, if you’re an applicant sponsored by 1) a Mexican National who is considered a spouse or 2) a spouse, parent / grandparent who holds a valid Mexican Permanent Resident visa. This mini-course will help you navigate Mexico’s INM website, fill out your application forms online, pay your application fees, get photos and fingerprints, then pick up your newly-minted visa card.


You’ll find our mini-course an excellent choice in moving forward and filing your family unity application for temporary residency in Mexico.

This program is good for:

  1. Married spouses of a Mexican National (who have been married in Mexico or had their foreign marriage certificate legalized for use in Mexico).
  2. Married spouses of a Permanent Resident Visa card holder (married in Mexico / with a foreign marriage certificate legalized for use in Mexico).
  3. Children of a Temporary or Permanent Resident Visa card holder (not a Mexican National).

Who this program is NOT for:

Please note, this program is not for foreigners who qualify for Permanent Residency (Residente Permanente) in Mexico.

There’s a different set of procedures under Permanent Residency if you’re a:

  1. Parent of a foreigner who holds a permanent resident card; or
  2. Child of a foreigner who holds a permanent resident card, provided that the child is under 18 years old; or
  3. Sibling of a foreigner holding a permanent resident card, provided that the sibling is under 18 years of age; or
  4. Child of the spouse of a foreigner holding a permanent resident card, provided that the child is under 18 years of age; or
  5. Child of a Mexican National in situations where the child is not entitled to Mexican Nationality, provided that the child is under 18 years of age; or
    the child of a spouse of a Mexican National, provided that the child is under 18 years of age; or
  6. Foreign parent of Mexican-born children; or
    The sibling either minor or adult, of a Mexican National, including naturalized foreigners; or
  7. Child, who has been declared incompetent and under the permanent resident card holders legal care.

We’re going to help you avoid any confusion or potential errors you may make in getting your forms and fees into Mexico’s Immigration department (INM) correctly.

There are many ways the application can be declined or refused.

Our course will walk you through the areas you need to pay close attention to.

I married a Mexican, now what?

Marrying a Mexican does not automatically give you Mexican citizenship, but it will fast-track the immigration process.

Proving your marriage to INM will grant you a one-year Temporary Residency Visa with the opportunity to renew for a total of two years.

Once the two years as Temporary Resident nears its’ expiration, you may then apply for Permanent Residency.

No financial records are required, and the process may be started and completed within Mexico.

If the Mexican citizen has sponsored a previous spouse, they must provide proof of a legal divorce or annulment. You may not apply for family unity visa for more than one spouse in a certain period of time.

Common law marriage is recognized in Mexico, but it becomes complicated in trying to prove. The couple must provide a declaration and proof of their common law marriage. (For example, a rental contract or joint financing; an income tax return showing they live as common-law; a life insurance policy listing the common-law partner as beneficiary, etc.)

Sometimes it is easier to just get married in Mexico than trying to prove a common-law marriage in Mexico. We have a course on how to get married in Mexico if you are not able to or find it difficult to prove your common law marriage.

Requirements to Apply

To apply, you or the applicant will need:

  • A current FMM / tourist visa.
  • Government issued Passport, original, and copy
  • (Note: Parent’s passport must match the parent’s name on the child’s birth certificate and the child will need a passport and legalized foreign birth certificate, translated.
  • Proof of address, original and copy (utility bill, does not need to be in the applicant’s name)
  • Marriage certificate, and divorce documents if applicable (all legalized for use in Mexico)
  • Mexican ID for the Mexican national (if they are sponsoring you) or the ID of the temporary or permanent resident (if they are sponsoring you).
  • Digital photos, fingerprints (to verify a clear criminal record), and capturing your signature digitally will be the final step prior to issuing a residency card. Pictures are taken by a photographer at the INM office (in modernized locations) or you will need to provide a photo that is 2.5×3.0 cm before the application is accepted.
  • Practice your signature! Tip: INM requires your signature matches the one on your passport when signing forms and inputting your digital signature. Otherwise your application will be denied.

Here is the official requirements list published by INM: http://www.inm.gob.mx/static/Tramites/en/VISA_BY_FAMILY_UNIT.pdf

What they will not do is walk you though the process. We can though!

Be cautious of the instructions on how to do this procedure which you can find on the internet. Some websites are inaccurate and outdated, resulting in time and efforts wasted.

What we’ll give you:

This course outlines the entire process on applying for a Temporary Resident visa via Mexico’s Family Unity program.

Our mini-course will help you:

  • Navigate Mexico’s INM website
  • Fill out your application forms online
  • Pay your application fees
  • Understand how INM takes digital photos and fingerprints
  • Obtain your new Temporary Resident Visa card.

Frequently Asked Questions

How long do I have access to the course?

Forever! Once you’ve enrolled and paid, you’ll have access to the course material for as long as you need. So devour it all in one weekend or take things slow. It’s your choice! Come back later and reapply when you need to renew, the process is constantly updating.

Does the Temporary Residency Visa give you permission to work in Mexico?

No. You will need to apply for “permiso para trabajar”, another process which will give you the right to work in Mexico.

What our fans say:




“When it finally came time to figure out the immigration process, the Move to Mexico Guide was so helpful in providing accurate and reliable information all in one place. It saved me from having to figure out everything for myself.” – Kyle, a Canadian now living in Mexico City

About Move to Mexico Guide

If you’re interested in creating an incredible lifestyle in Mexico, but not quite ready for your temporary resident visa application yet, learn more by subscribing to our helpful Move to Mexico Guide email series here:

Top 33 tips to live the good life in Mexico

Be the first to add a review.

Please, login to leave a review
Enrolled: 56 students
Duration: 2 hours
Lectures: 17
Level: Beginner
Layer 1